LIOH Demands for Land, Peace and Democracy
Land, water and forests are for those who live on it and work it; whose lives, livelihoods and identities depend on this.
Principle 2: To stop and reverse “land grabbing” system-wide
Land is for those who live on it and work it; whose lives, livelihoods and identities depend on this; therefore, any “development” or “investment” initiative that goes against this core principle should be stopped and rolled back; any and all land dispute processing mechanisms must adhere to this core principle.
Principle 3: Define an across- the -board land size ceiling, suited to agro-ecological context, with land redistribution and land restitution system-wide in the National Land Use Policy
Land size ceiling as both a remedial and preventive measure to stop and prevent future land polarization, to remedy landlessness, and to address past land injustices, both “inside” and “outside” customary tenure systems.
Principle 4: Respect for plural tenure system & customary practices within a federalist system
It needs to recognize of diverse customary tenure systems and farming practices, respect for the right to self-organization and self-determination in the use and management of land and related natural resources by the those who live on and work the land, and adoption of a federal system.
Principle 5: Apply genuine environmental protection
We believe that Land and forests, rivers and lakes, fisheries and seeds for life with genuine environmental protection, not for profit.
Principle 6: Respect for basic civil and political rights and freedoms of all rural working people/ ethnic peoples / rural women
- Right to know (right to free and prior information, including across all phases of land and tenure rights mapping)
- Right to consultation and participation without any kind of discrimination (including in any and all mapping initiatives/ efforts)
- Right to decide
- Right to due process (including right to appeal)
- Right to review (contracts and agreements)
- Right to self-determination
- Right to restitution
- Right to freedom from forced eviction
- Right to freedom of association
- Right to freedom of expression
- Rights to dissent and protest
Land for People, Not Profit!
No Mapping Us Without Us!
Not About Us Without Us!